Pages

Thursday, June 21, 2012

strawberry jam x three

A couple of weekends ago, I managed to cross off one of my food resolutions for 2012 - making strawberry freezer jam!



I love jam. I'm especially a fan of "berry" jams - raspberry, strawberry - and being able to make my own seemed like a great way to try something new and stock up on my jam supply at the same time.

Paul's been making jam with his mom for ages, but I never had a chance to join in the fun. However, I finally managed to convince Paul to "help" me make jam (mostly, he made the jam and I watched).

We picked up two different jam gelling powders - Certo and Club House - and then went to Whittamore's Farm and bought a whole lot of strawberries (six quarts to be exact). I'm not normally a fan of strawberries (I know, weird) but I thought strawberries would be a sweet and easy introduction into jam making.


We made sure to have lots of mason jars (the ones with separate lids and screw rings) washed and ready to go since we didn't know how many jars of jam we'd end up with after our big jam-making day. 

We made three different types of jam - two "no-cook" ones and one that required a little more work (including sterilizing the jars).

Verdict: the no-cook jams are very runny and sweet, with the Certo-based one being the sweeter of the two strawberry jams (it was our favourite). It's also a great jam for beginner cooks (like me) to start with. The strawberry-rhubarb jam was a good mix of the strawberries and tart rhubarb and I love that it will keep longer, but I'm too lazy to sterilize jars every time I make jam. I love the simplicity of the no-cook jams - they're both quick and easy to make.

Next time we'll try making jam using other fruits and also making jam without any added commercial pectin. But first I'll have to make it through all the strawberry jam we now have!  :)

Note: although the jam itself doesn't take too long to make, give yourself plenty of time to prep the fruit. Seriously. Do you know how long it took me to hull 6 quarts of strawberries?!


strawberry freezer jam (with club house) 

ingredients:

4 cups strawberries, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 package of Club House Garden Fare No Cook Freezer Jam Gelling Powder

directions:

Place strawberries in large mixing bowl and gently stir in sugar. Let stand for 15 minutes.

While stirring the fruit mixture, slowly sprinkle the gelling powder a little at a time into the mixture. Let stand for 5 minutes. Gently stir again for 1 minute.

Pour jam into jars, leaving a 1 inch space at the top of the jar.Seal jars tightly.

Jam is ready to eat immediately (no standing time is required). You can store it in the refrigerator for up to 6 weeks or in the freezer for up to 1 year.


strawberry no-cook jam (with certo) 

ingredients:

2 cups strawberries, crushed
4 cups sugar
1 box Certo Pectin Crystals

directions:

In a large mixing bowl stir together strawberries and sugar. Let stand for 10 minutes.

Combine water with Certo crystals in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir the crystal mixture into the fruit and sugar mix. Continue stirring for 3 minutes.

Pour jam into jars, leaving a 1/4 space at the top of the jar. Seal jars tightly. Leave at room temperature for 24 hours.

Jam can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks or kept in the freezer for 6 to 8 months.


strawberry-rhubarb jam (with certo)

ingredients:

2 cups strawberries, crushed
2 cups rhubarb, sliced or chopped
1 box Certo Pectin Crystals
5 1/2 cups sugar


directions:

In a large saucepan stir together strawberries, rhubarb and Certo Crystals. Bring to a boil over high heat.

Add sugar to the fruit mixture and return to a hard boil for 1 minute.

Remove mixture from heat. Stir and skim for 5 minutes to remove any floating fruit.

Pour jam into warm sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch at the top of the jar. Cover with lids and screw rings on tightly.

Jam can be stored on the shelf (unopened) for up to 1 year.

1 comment:

  1. Wow - I can't believe it's actually quite simple to make jam. Looks like fun...hmm can't wait to try since strawberry is in season now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for a leaving comment - I love hearing from my readers!