Pages

Monday, December 3, 2012

cookie calendar - day 3: gingerbread bois


peanut-butter stuffed chocolate cookies mrs. chan’s pecan ball cookies gingerbread bois Aren't these little gingerbread cookies the CUTEST things ever?


Stuart is a blogger over in Scotland whose blog had me hooked as soon as I came across it a few months ago. Partly, it's because his cartoon alter-ego, Cakey Boi, is adorable, but also, the more I got to know Stuart, the more I found we had in common - like our love of baked goods, unusual McFlurry flavours and general silliness.

Seriously, Stuart is a great baker and I've been learning a lot from his blog, so I was really excited that he agreed to share a cookie recipe with us. When I got his email, I was so giddy - look at these adorable little Gingerbread bois!!! 

Enjoy!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

I am thrilled that Stephanie asked me to take part in her Cookie Advent Calendar. My website Cakeyboi is only a few months old and I am very flattered to have been asked.

The cookie I decide to make reflects both the aspects of my blog – baking and cartoons. I love to bake and I love cartooning. I thought, how better to replicate this in a cookie – than a Gingerbread Boi. Cakeyboi is my little cupcake creation, but for the festive season he is going all Gingerbread - man! These little beauties aren’t like traditional gingerbread cookies, but they pack a spicy punch!

I love the festive season, and probably more than the day itself, I love the build up. It’s great seeing everyone bustling around buying gifts, watching Christmas movies and baking festive treats of course. I make plenty of different bakes over the season, which I will be showcasing over at Cakeyboi, if you’d like to join me! I also have a giveaway running through December – a 2013 Cakeyboi calendar, open to anyone.

I hope to see you there, and you can always follow me on twitter (@MrCakeyBoi), Facebook (Facebook.com/Cakeyboi) or Pinterest (pinterest.com/cakeyboi).

Thank you again to Stephanie for asking me to take part in her fun festive calendar.

Happy Holidays everyone!!


gingerbread bois
Recipe (adapted from Nigella’s Edible Tree Decorations)
printer-friendly version

Yield: Depends on size of your cutter!

ingredients:

200 grams plain flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
115 grams softened unsalted butter
100 grams dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
90 grams runny honey


directions:

In a bowl sift together the flour, salt and all of the spices, Set to one side.

With a food mixer (or by hand) mix the butter and sugar together until creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, incorporating after each addition. Add the honey and mix through.

Slowly add the flour mix until it has all combined and no streaks of the flour can be seen. If the dough appears too soft and sticky, add a little bit more flour until it is easier to handle. Separate the dough into two mounds, wrap each in plastic wrap and flatten to make discs. Pop them into the refrigerator overnight.

When you are ready to bake, pre-heat your oven to 180oC. Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper. Take each dough disc and roll out until an 1/8 inch thick. Cut out whatever shapes you desire and place onto the baking trays. I used an icing bag tip to cut out a small hole in the top of each cookie, enough for a piece of string to fit through.

Pop them into the oven for 10-12 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove and allow to cool completely.

Decorate your cookies with whatever you have at hand. I used some royal icing and some jelly sweets for noses. Let the icing set before threading the string through the hole and tying – ready to hang on your tree!


The recipe and all photos/illustrations used in this blog post belong to Stuart/Cakeyboi and should not be reprinted without her express permission.

1 comment:

Thanks for a leaving comment - I love hearing from my readers!